Friday 9 January 2015

2014 in Games and Writing

2014 was a bit of an off year for me in terms of writing. I've not been as active as I like to be, and putting together a working collection of short stories is proving almost as difficult as editing up a finished novel. It doesn't help that Dropbox keeps screwing with my versions so I don't know which is the most recent and I end up having to do over, but there is an element of procrastination and another of creative exhaustion.

In part, I think I need to focus more on my writing, rather than running RPGs. I've got one on at the moment, but it's a fortnightly Fate Core game run via G+, which makes it pretty low maintenance. since quitting my STing duties with the IoD I've found the creative flow much easier and I have a number of things on the go, including that short story collection. I'll drop a note here (and probably there and everywhere) if and when I put anything up for sale.

I've been running Agents of CROSSBOW for a year now, although we had a longish break and I effectively rebooted halfway through the year, once I'd got a better handle on the system.  In playing terms I've drifted out of most of my regular LARPS, although I still play a fortnightly skype game and I have something new on the horizon in the form of No Rest for the Wicked.

I did RPG a day, which was pretty cool really, and helped me to think seriously and critically about a lot of my gaming habits. I've also been surprisingly active in writing game criticism (positive and negative) and I took part in Secret Santicore; not that I ever got my Secret Santicore 'present.'

In computer gaming, I have revisited a lot of old 40K games and also started Dishonoured, although I'm rather hung up on that at the moment. My current target is one of three sisters in different-coloured versions of the same masquerade ball suit, all of whom come and cower pitifully in a single room when alarmed. Consequently, I feel like a right git murdering them. I think I'm going to have to go for the non-lethal option and tell myself that it's fine; she'll be out of the way a few weeks while we sort out the country, then I can go and kill her stalker... if she hasn't already.

I don't think it's the right thing to do, but it's probably the least distasteful of the options which will move the game forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment